Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Torture and Terrorism

I can't believe I didn't post here at all in October! I have really been busy. Check out my eBay listings to see what I've been up to.

Anyway, to the subject at hand.

Research, experience, and common sense tell us that information gotten through torture is not reliable.

Look, if you torture somebody till he's ready to confess to the Crucifixion, then you can't rely on what he says. He'll say anything you want to hear, whether it's truth or fantasy.

I've read the justification for "unusual means" of information gathering by comparing our torture methods with what our POW's have gone through in this and previous wars. My response to this is, just who are we? If what our enemies do is so heinous, why do we want to emulate them? Why look to the worst dregs of human history as role models for us to follow? Aren't we Americans? Don't we set a higher standard for the world to aspire to?

Who are we, anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home