Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

On Daylight Saving Time

In case you overlooked it, DST begins this year on March 11, and doesn't end until December!

Damn!

I have never liked DST, and now the research backs me up. Daylight saving time causes an INCREASE in energy use, not a saving, the way the Nixons and Bushes of the world would have you believe. You see, as there are more hours (okay, an extra hour) of daylight at the end of the day, people decide to get out and drive around more. Thus burning more gas, thus causing a higher energy use.

The only people who like DST are those like my second wife who liked to use the extra hour to work in the yard. Yay. Yard work was her thing, not mine. I just got roped into it.

Now, my current wife has to get up at 0-dark-hundred most mornings, and DST makes it harder on her. My sentiments are with her.

Also with all the school children who will be in greater danger of being killed by traffic while waiting for the bus in the dark.

You can thank George W. Bush for this, since these extra weeks are his idea. As for me, I'm writing those who represent my state (they don't represent me) in Congress and demand they save American energy by repealing DST.

Won't you join me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home