Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Budget Priorities

When the Final Trumpet blows and Jesus Christ comes back in glory and divides the nations to judge them, I do not want to be standing anywhere near anyone in the current Congress.

When Jesus asks them to justify their current budget priorities, I want to be standing on the other side of the room. There is going to be some major squirming going on, and I don't want to be part of it.

I can imagine Jesus saying, "Inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these you have done it to me." When he asks them why they cut back on public health in the face of a possible bird flu pandemic; when he asks them why he cut back on funding for public school lunches, possibly causing a child who is too hungry to pay attention grows up and joins a criminal gang rather thand going to school and discovering a cure for Alzheimer's as he was intended to do; when Jesus asks them why they starved programs for the poor so they could afford tax cuts so obscenely rich people would have more money to stash in secret Cayman Island accounts while laying American workers off and sending their jobs overseas--I do not want to be anywhere near where Jesus is pouring out his wrath on such people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home