Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Time for a new revolution?

Thomas Jefferson said that America would probably need a new revolution every twenty years or so. He was onto something.

People in power tend to become entrenched, which leads to corruption. Men in power don't have people around them to tell them they can't do things. Cf. my previous post on the lack of Nathans. In Anne of the Thousand Days (the movie) one character advises his successor, "Tell the king what he ought to do, not what he can do." Of course the character does tell the king what he can do and loses his head for it.

People running the government now have learned what they can do, and have completely lost sight of what they ought to do. The latest scandal involves insider day trading conducted from inside Congressional offices.

I think I am beginning to agree with the bumper sticker I saw: "Don't re-elect anybody."

Seriously, we need new voices, new heads, new ideas, new ethics in government: in Lenoir, in Raleigh, and in Washington.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home