Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Friday, May 12, 2006

On the Minimum Wage

I have pointed out many times that whenever in my lifetime the minimum wage has gone up, unemployment has gone down.

Now, I have read something to confirm it. "A new report from the Center for American Progress and Policy Matters Ohio finds that the '11 states with a minimum wage above the federal minimum of $5.15 per hour had higher rates of small business growth between 1997 and 2003.'"

Further: "In states with minimum wages above the federal minimum...small business employment grew by 9.4 percent, while states with the federal minimum wage grew by only 6.6 percent. 'Inflation-adjusted small business payroll growth' the report also found, 'was stronger in high minimum wage states (19.0 percent) than in federal minimum wage states (13.6 percent)....'"

I have been proven right. The real world does have a way of debunking ivory tower theories, doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home