Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My new job

After almost 9 1/2 years at Sears, I have taken a job at Home Depot. I am still feeding my body selling appliances while feeding my soul teaching for Gardner-Webb. But now I have a new and better company to work for.

I have learned that Home Depot pioneered corporate involvement with disaster relief. It makes sense, really to have your logo on T-shirts all over an area passing out relief supplies for rebuilding, etc., and to have them visible while building playgrounds and Habitat houses. Good advertising, a lot cheaper than big television ads and newspaper fliers, but doing good at the same time. Makes me feel better about it.

Still, it is the People's Republic of Corporate America, and Home Depot is a big supporter of the Bush Administration--at least it was in the 2004 election. There are policies that don't make sense, but one will find that with any super large company.

Anyway, I like the philosophy they preach about customer service, putting the customer first, and realizing the front line associate plays a vital role in taking care of the customer, whose money finances the company and the salaries of the higher-ups. I felt that Sears had lost sight of that. There, pleasing upper management was far more important than taking care of customers. I'm happy to be in a better environment now.

From here out, we'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home