Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

On Protest

In 1968 I was hovering over the peace movement. I wasn't happy about the Vietnam War, but I thought as a patriotic American I should support the Johnson Administration for which I had campaigned so hard four years before. When a young graduate student came into the music library where I worked wearing a "McCarthy" button, that sealed it for me. Her fiance was a Lieutenant in Vietnam, so if she could support the anti-war candidate, that gave me permission, in my own mind. Thus I became a vociferous opponent of the war, writing letters to the editor, marching in the streets, attending rallies, etc.

Those days are behind me, even though we are in the midst of a mess at least as bad as Vietnam. Still I have my outlets for protest. I have this blog, and I have the ability to write letters to the editor.

There are two proposals I would like to add. First, how can we get a nationwide rally of chiropractors to descend on Washington to help the Democratic leadership find its backbone? If anybody has any ideas about that, please let me know.

Second, I intend to do this, and I would like to invite as many others as possible to join me: to send to the Supreme Court justices, the President and Vice-President, and our own Senators and Congressmen copies of the Constitution, with a note attached: "Here's something you seem to have lost sight of. You need to read this and remember what you swore to uphold." (or words to that effect)

Anybody got any other ideas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home