Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

On the Bugaboo of Taxes

Nobody likes to pay taxes. That goes without saying, but people are saying it over and over, usually as a diversion from the problems that are facing the country. To keep anything positive from being accomplished, they scream, "He wants to raise your taxes!"

Well, I want to try to throw a little different perspective on things, if I might. (Well, of course I might. It's my blog, isn't it?)

Taxes paid for the schools I went to, the police that protect my person and property, the streets and roads on which I drive, the traffic signals that keep me from being rammed at every intersection (even though I HATE red lights), the health inspectors that make sure the food I eat is safe, and myriad other benefits I enjoy. Plus, they allow my handicapped daughter to live as independently as she does.

Of course they also pay the salaries of politicians I voted against; waste, fraud, and abuse; and corporate welfare. But on the whole they are necessary, and there are benefits to being a tax-paying citizen.

There are other things that I need for my taxes to pay for, such as health care.

Once again: In countries where taxpayers cover health care costs, the people have more doctors per thousand population, they have a lower death rate at every age, so they live longer. The latest figures I have seen show that 98% of the population of England would choose their system over ours, and 95% of the doctors would. Yet they spend less than half what we spend per person on health care.

So the health insurance premiums go to pay the hyperinflated salaries of bean counters whose job it is to keep from paying our claims. Yet if you start talking about this, people will counter, "but they pay more in taxes than we do."

So *&^%-in' what? They pay less overall.

What it boils down to is that I would rather pay $50 in taxes to make sure my child has a nurse by his hospital bed rather than $100 in health insurance premiums that pay for fuel in the CEO's jet.

Let my taxes pay for my health care, for railroad travel, and for other things they need to pay for. Let my tax dollars pay to hunt down the criminals behind the 9/11 attacks. I don't want them paying for illegal spying, nor for an unprovoked war. Neither do I want my country's unprovoked war paid for on credit, enslaving our economy to Chinese bankers.

Would it be possible to have a sane and intelligent debate over taxes and the proper use thereof?

I didn't think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home