Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Monday, January 31, 2005

A Tale of Two Men (?)

I present for your consideration two men: Man A lives in rural North Carolina, is underemployed and concerned about his retirement, owns a pickup truck and two shotguns, and agrees with most (though not all) positions of the NRA.

Now, Man B has two master's degrees, was a consciencious objector during the Vietnam war, has signed gun control positions, and agrees with most (though not all) positions of the ACLU.

What do these two men have in common?

They're the same person!

I, of course, am describing myself. No, I have never voted a straight party ticket in my life, and I resent anyone trying to place me into a political or religious pigeonhole. That dehumanizes me. It dehumanizes anyone. That may be why political discourse in this country is so vicious nowadays. We look at each other as The Enemy, rather than as a child of God and fellow traveler to the tomb.

Never, never, never, try to push somebody into a box they haven't already entered voluntarily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home