Name:
Location: Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States

I'm an ordained United Methodist minister no longer pastoring churches, a former media producer with skills ten years out of date, a writer trying to sell my first novel, and a sales associate keeping body and soul together working for the People's Republic of Corporate America. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world, who was my best friend for 17 years before we married.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

On Thanksgiving

This is the season some of us set aside to think about being thankful. Actually being thankful is another story. Some of us. For the People's Republic of Corporate America it's just a minor speed bump along the mad dash to Christmas.

I am thankful that the American people woke up and put the grown-ups in charge of the Congress. Now, if they will just remember that they are grown-ups and no longer the puppies following the Rove/Cheney juggernaut. Can we have the last of "yeah, me too, but I'd do it better"? Can we have the last of the fear of the corporate-owned media hailing Republican squeak-by wins as mandates and Democratic landslides as calls to govern from the middle? Don't hold your breath.

I'm thankful to be married to the most wonderful woman on Earth, and I wish all married couples could be as happy as we are. I am thankful that some states stay out of deciding who can share that bliss and who can't.

I'm thankful for my family--biological and step. I'm thankful for gainful employment, food to eat, and a roof over my head. Even while wishing for a job that fulfilled me more and allowed me to be off on Sundays and a place to live in a decent city (or even town) away from here.

I'm thankful for my part-time work for Gardner-Webb, and wish it could be full-time.

I'm thankful for my health, such as it is, and hopeful that the new Congress will finally get serious about joining the rest of the developed world and institute first-world health care for all of us.

I could go on, but what's the point? Nobody reads this, anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Thanks, Chris. I needed that.

November 29, 2006 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home